Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review: Tom Ford Eye Color Quad 02 Cognac Sable

 
Tom Ford beauty line fully launched with 10 eye color quads ($75 for 0.35 oz). At the first glance,  I thought none of his eyeshadow quads would suit my taste. And I must admit his ad photos featuring the Dutch goddess Lara Stone, Mr. Ford himself and alluring eye makeup gave me the impression that his line were tailored for bold sexy makeup lovers. It turns out his entire beauty line is actually quite wearable when played down.

I picked up Cognac Sable and Golden Mink and already have a list of the must-haves :D (Crushed Amethyst and Sahara Haze wink wink). They come with a large mirror and two applicators. The Cognac Sable quad I purchased mistakenly contains two identical applicators. The sale associate gave me the correct one on my second trip to the counter.
Cognac Sable has a coppery color theme that is designed so cleverly. Oh and it suits my coloring perfectly! I have light medium skin with yellow undertone (about MAC NC 25). You have a frosty light peach, a coppery glitter, a shimmery coppery brown and shimmery plumy deep brown. Don't be scared by the words "glitter" or "shimmer". The shimmer is beyond sophisticated that I can wear it everyday. I apply the coppery shade on two thirds of the lids and use the peach shade to highlight the one third inner corners of my eyes. Then I blend the plumy brown onto my outer V, along the lashlines. The result is natural, chic and soft.

 The ingredients
The kicker of the palette, though, is the coppery glitter. It reminds me of the highlight shade in Dior All-in-one palette. Dior's has creamy texture while Tom Ford's is a pressed powder glitter. Both are delicated and stays on well although they do move around on the lids throughout the day. Tom Ford glitter, however, doesn't fall down onto my cheeks or under eye areas like Dior's. Overall, I think Tom Ford's glitter has excellent quality and exceed that of Dior's. The best tool I've found to apply the glitter shades is my clean finger. I pick up the color then dab it on my lids sans blending. The glitter will move after a few winks. 

Blurred image to show the shimmer and glitter
Tom Ford powder products in general have velvety texture that blends flawlessly and effortlessly into the skin. His eyeshadows are no exception. I'm blown away by the phenomenal texture, the very best I've ever tried. Now, some bloggers have reported inconsistency and low pigmentation. The peach shade and the coppery glitter have higher consistency than the other two. However, I don't see the two deeper shades as lower quality. They're great, only not as exceptional as the two lighter shades.

Cognac Sable stays fresh for 10 hours on top of standard primer. Yes even the glitter look the same by the end of the day. Wonderful indeed but I expected it to perform this well for the price. The wearing is also typical for other designer brands, which brings me to the hefty price tag.

My favorite eyeshadow brand Dior delivers 0.21 oz of 5 eyeshadows with $59. If you desire the glitter in Dior All-in-one palettes, you receive only 0.15 oz with the same payment. In order to get 0.35 oz of product like Tom Ford quads, you'd either need to spend $96 for Dior's regular formula or $135 for Dior's all-in-one formula. That doesn't include Tom Ford large mirror. So if this quad were made by Dior, it'd cost you about $96 - $135.

Bottom line. Cognac Sable hits the sweet spot for warm skin tone. Nothing quality-wise needs improvement in my opinion. You pay more for not only excellent quality but also decent quantity. If you want to try out the brand and still are unsure where to start, I would highly recommend Cognac Sable. It's truly a must-have for me.

Have you tried any Tom Ford eye color quads? What is your favorite?

14 comments:

  1. Ok, so I've come back to your post several times looking at the pic and swatches...still not sure if this would end up looking way too warm on me!! Guess I need to go swatch for myself - ha ha :-) It's so beautiful...well all his stuff is so beautiful!!! I'm really lusting after a few of his brushes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubts it's a warm palette. What surprised me was the colors were quite soft and buildable. And I never use the coppery glitters as strong as it showed in the swatches. Hope this helps you a bit. His brushes, OMG, are fabulous. The price, I wish it in my comfort zone. Happy new year to you Gummy! x

      Delete
  2. I am so in love. I dont really think I have ever coveted a palette so badly! The colors are just incredible. I very much agree that you definitely pay more for better quality, i just personally cant to 75.. eee! Im going to have to come back here and ogle it often! Absolutely exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Taylor! My love with TF beauty all started with how much I love Cognac Sable. This particular quad, his blushes and his lipsticks are absolutely the best. If only the price weren't so hostile. But then I'd go broke in the matter of weeks. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful. I'm not really a believer in "you get what you pay for" with makeup but for this price tag, there's no excuse for this to be anything less than the absolute best formula and packaging wise. The colors are just lovely and your review is very informative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine! Cognac Sable is a well-done palette. I'm a beauty addict and pretty things attract my attention. But this quad deserves love from us all (if you love copper especially).

      Delete
  4. Oooh this one is gorgeous! I LOVE a good neutral quad/palette! I haven't tried ANYthing from TF yet but I think I am going for his blush first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I love neutral eyeshadows and a little bit of spice. In this case, it's the coppery glitter.

      Delete
  5. Hey JoanneP,
    I have Cognag Sable too and it really is gorgeous! I am thinking to get Golden Mink or Enchanted too but haven't got the urge to get it asap :p

    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of urge is dangerous to me. I failed to wait a month between trips. Those two quads are beautiful too. Please buzz me if you finally get them.

      Delete
  6. Okay, I seriously don't get the price thing, lol... This quad is $135, yes? The colors are gorgeous, and the name of course sounds so deliciously luxe. I'd eneed something a little cooler but this line looks worth checking out next time I'm looking to really treat myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liesl, it's definitely a splurge in my case. The problem is I splurge way too much on Tom Ford so I need to slow down (not stop, I can't stop :D).

      The quad is $75. I compared it with Dior 5-color quints in terms of quantity. For the same quantify as Tom Ford's, you'd have to pay $96-$135 for Dior 5-color quint. I hope that it's clear. I also edit my review to clarify this. Thanks for pointing that out xx

      Delete
  7. I have cognac sable as well and I love it! I'm eyeing golden mink at the moment, I was wondering how you felt about it! Cause I have a NC25 NC30 skin tone as well, would golden mink show up on my skintone or would it be too light?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I love Golden Mink too, although not as much as Cognac Sable. It's more neutral and subtle but also very pigmented. It will show up, don't worry. If you want more defined look then layer the light beige underneath the dark brown. Many TF SAs rock that look and they look gorgeous. I myself prefer more toned down eyemakeup for everyday, so I use the lighter beige on the lid and dark brown on the outer-V. Hope this helps xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...